International Women’s Day is celebrated around the world on 8th of March every year. It is a day when we celebrate the social, cultural, economic and political achievements while also campaigning for greater progress towards gender equality.
But how it’s all started? On 28th of February, 1909, in New York it was held the earliest Women’s Day observance which was organized by Theresa Malkiel. Very next year, in August, the Women’s Day was celebrated in Copenhagen. The following year, 19th of March 1911, the International Women’s Day was celebrated for the first time by over a million people in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland. But only in the year 1977, the International Women’s Day was proclaimed on 8th of March as the day of women’s rights and world peace.
Lately no marketing manager ignores the importance of 8th of March and they include this day in their event calendar.
I have collected some marketing activity ideas that can be used in your business, no matter what you do – you are the owner of a small flower shop or you have a bakery.
- First of all, never forget to congratulate all females at your workplace. If you are a smaller business you can do it in more personal ways, like sending flowers / giving sweets but for big business digital congratulation will do a trick.
- Send an email to all your female customers wishing them Happy Women’s Day. You can also send personal gifts (food gift baskets, flowers, sweets etc.) to your VIP female customers.
- Make an advert which is intended for a female audience. No matter what your product is – cars, shipping, business, finances etc. The most important thing is the correct message.
- Give a discount for your product on this day only for female customers.
- Make a special events / offers on this day. For example, if you run a club, you can make a lady night where you can offer free entrance for all ladies and free entrance shots.
- Make a video where you are wishing Happy Women’s Day and post it in all your channels – YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Make a thank you advert for your female customers and buy some Radio or TV spots. Your advert will reach a wide range of your target audience and they will have a good impression about your business.
And so far my favorite advert is from Mattel, advertising on Barbie, where the main message is to inspire little young ladies.
Happy International Women’s Day!